Nigeria is like an umbrella sheltering different cultures, religions, traditions, and values.
This is why there is a cultural difference between Southern and Northern Nigeria. What is acceptable in the South may be outrightly offensive North.
You can describe it as a liberal south and conservative north. Hence, when you are junketing especially around Northern Nigeria, you should be very conscious of what you do because it may unpleasant to the people.
We at SEPTIN911 identify some of these behaviours. You should not ignore these tips if you find yourself in the North to prevent any unpalatable backlashes.
Public display of affection
Cuddling, holding hands and other forms public display of affection is nauseating to many in the North.
If you are so bent on showing off your romantic prowess, you should wait till you return to the hotel you booked in Kano or Kaduna on Jumia Travel.
Engage in religious disagreement
Religion is a sensitive issue in some parts of Northern Nigeria. So, if you are a Muslim.
Christian or traditionalist from any other parts of Nigeria or a tourist, you should sidestep any religious discussion or argument.
It is better you just enjoy your stay at the Kajuru Castle in Kaduna and keep your religious convictions to yourself.
Not covering your hair
As a lady traveling to the North, you already have a dress code. It doesn’t mean you adopt that type of dressing. But the least you can do is to never to leave your hair open.
Always cover it even if you don’t like it. And, don’t display sensitive features of your body.
Mingling with women
Culturally and religiously, men are not allowed to mingle with women in Northern Nigeria.
So, as a man, you should not be found amidst women no matter how essential your message or encounter may be.
Eating publicly during fasting
You will observe that many of these behaviours or actions are hinged on religion. This is because Islam is the major religion in the North and things they do are dictated by Islam.
So, if you are a non-believer in Islam, you should not eat in public especially during fasting. Try as much as possible to eatyour food in your room.
- 15 surprisingly strict rules The Royals have to follow when they travel – The Queen doesn’t even have a passport & she can go anywhere in the world (With Pics)
- 10 shocking things Meghan Markle had to give up after marrying Prince Harry – She can never be an Actress again (Photos)
- See photos of the French Pornstar rumoured to be Drake’s babymama
- Checkout the most stylish Nigerian rich kids – Tobi sure knows how to spend his father’s money (PHOTOS)
- 10 Nigerian male celebrities that love to show off their kids On Social Media – We all know Davido is a family man (Photos)