A spokesperson for the Gadaffi family has said that Saif al-Islam Gadaffi, the son of the former Libyan leader will contest in the upcoming presidential elections.
Basem al-Hashimi al-Soul told influential local media agency, Egypt Today, that Saif al-Islam has the support and credentials required to end the chaos that has gripped Libya since the overthrow of his father Muammar Gadaffi in 2011.
“Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, the son of the former Libyan president, enjoys the support of major tribes in Libya so he can run for the upcoming presidential elections due in 2018,” said Libyan Tribal Chief and spokesperson of the Gaddafi family, Basem al-Hashimi al-Soul.
Al-Soul says that a platform to launch the former first son’s presidential campaign will soon be launched. “The platform includes some procedures that Saif al-Islam hopes the United Nations would adopt to help Libya move from the incumbent transitional period to stability.”
Saif al-Islam Gadaffi hopes to unify the factions and restore peace and stability in the country that was once prosperous under his father’s rule. “Saif al-Islam plans to impose more security and stability in accordance with the Libyan geography and in coordination with all Libyan factions,” al-Soul manifested.
The United Nations backed Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA) has indicated that elections may be held in mid-2018. “We believe that presidential elections will be held in the middle of 2018,” Mohamed Siala, GNA foreign minister, speaking to foreign reporters at the Valdai Panel Discussion in Russia.
Saif Al-Islam was released in June this year after six years of captivity by a militia group in the Libyan town of Zintan. He had been captured in November 2011 after the fall of his father’s regime, and he was subsequently sentenced to death in absentia by a court in Tripoli. Following his release, the International Criminal Court ordered for his arrest and surrender, which was backed by the GNA.
He is wanted by the ICC on charges of crimes against humanity during his father’s unsuccessful attempts to put down the rebellion that eventually led to the fall of his regime.
CLICK HERE to follow our Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- “The photographer na wash” – Nigerians blast couple because of their pre-wedding pics
- #BBNaija: “My closeness with Efe was real, I don’t mind dating him” – Marvis
- 8 reasons to be okay with being hated by people – #6 will make you a grater person
- 20 most expensive houses in the world and their prices, owners. This list will blow your mind
- The 6 most humble Nigerian celebrities – #3 is a shy billionaire! (With Pictures)
- 10 Nigerian celebrity marriages that will never get a divorce – #2 met his wife “untouched” (With Pics)
- 10 Nigerian celebrities with the most expensive houses- #10 cost close to a billion Naira (photos)