Inspector General of Police Ibrahim Idris yesterday castigated police officers for being careless to the extent that they are kidnapped. He described as embarrassing and annoying the recent kidnap of the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in charge of Sarkin Pawa in Niger State. Superintendent of Police (SP) Amos Aliyu was on Sunday abducted near his home at Turin Fulani by unidentified persons.
Speaking yesterday in Abuja during a meeting with Commissioners of Police and other senior officers, the IG urged policemen to be careful and protect themselves first. Idris told Commissioners of Police that they would be vicariously liable should anything happen to any policeman under them.
“There should be more visibility policing. Policemen should be deployed in flashpoint areas to take care of security because the presence of police in those areas would help in the reduction of crime.
“We must take the protection of our officers seriously. We have a problem; two days ago, one of our DPOs was kidnapped. How can you be a DPO, you have all the policemen under your Command and then you start driving as if you don’t have anybody.
“You allow the useless kidnappers to pick you and your orderly, it is very embarrassing. We had the same issue in Zamfara state where an ACP going on leave travelled alone. It is embarrassing.
“Utilize the men you have and you must protect yourself first. You can only protect others when you are protected because you are a target.
“The information we are receiving is that our ACP’s vehicle was abandoned in a bush and he has not been seen which obviously means that he has been kidnapped. How can we be living with such situation? It is becoming an embarrassment. DPOs and other personnel should be careful of their movement.
The police chief added: “The CP Niger said there is contact already and they are working on it. Policemen who are protecting others should not allow themselves to be target. We should be careful in our movement.
“Our officers have to be concerned about their personal safety first because this issue is becoming an embarrassment. CPs would also be vicariously liable for any policeman that is just picked up like a fowl or anything, it is very annoying.
“We should be careful in our movement. If you notice that an area is not safe, you should deploy men in those areas. We should take their protection very serious. Our policemen should also be careful with the way they move around”.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- The 6 physical features that men can’t resist in ladies – #4 and #5 will make even a billionaire lose control
- Nigerian female celebrities that have done plastic surgeries (With Photos)
- 14 Nigerian celebs who are allegedly gays and lesbians – #5 was caught (With Photos)
- 7 Nigerian celebs you never knew are from Royal families – #3 & #4 are stinking rich but still humble (With Photos)
- 12 people Olamide helped to become rich & famous in Nigeria – #11 can kill for Olamide (With Pics)
- 7 facts about Simi and Adekunle Gold you didnt know – Too many secrets unveiled
- 11 female celebs whose broken marriages didn’t stop them from shining – #9 became stinking rich after divorce (With Photos)