Jay-Z’s mum Gloria Carter: JAY-Z‘s mother Gloria Carter has revealed why she came out as a lesbian on her son’s song “Smile.“ In the song which features on JAY-Z’s album “4:44” JAY-Z raps:
Mama had four kids, but she’s a lesbian/ Had to pretend so long that she’s a thespian/ Had to hide in the closet, so she medicate/ Society shame and the pain was too much to take
In an interview on the D’ussé Friday podcast, Gloria Carter said:
Me and my son share a lot of information, so I was sitting there and I was telling him one day, I just finally started telling him who I was.
Besides your mother, this is the person that I am, this is the life that I live.
So my son actually started tearing, because he was like, ‘That had to be a horrible life, Ma.’ And I was like, ‘My life was never horrible, it was just different.’ So that made him want to do a song about it.
Just like JAY-Z said in his interview with Rap Radar, Gloria said she was wary of having her story on a song.
Eventually, she came to while in a plane on her way to his place, and wrote the poem “Living in the Shadows” that was recited at the end of the song on the album. She said:
When I got there I was like, ‘I’m gonna help you along.
I said, ‘Look at this,’ and he was like, ‘Wow, you wrote this on the plane?’ So I said, ‘Yeah,’ and he said, ‘Start reading it.’
So I started reading it and he was taping me – I taped it on the phone!
Gloria Carter said she’s never been ashamed of who she is. She said she had to stay in the closet for so long as a result of society’s prejudices, but it’s finally time to live and be free. She said:
I was never ashamed of me, but my family, it was something that was never discussed.
Because everybody knows who I am, I don’t hide who I am.
I’m tired of all the mystery. I’m gonna give it to ’em. I don’t have to worry about anybody wondering whether I’m in the life or not – I’m gonna tell them.
Now it’s time for me to be live my life and be happy, be free.
Listen to the full podcast below:
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways.
- A-List Nigerian celebrities who married richer men – #5, #2 and #1 are regretting now (With Photos)
- 44 countries Nigerian passport holders can visit without a Visa
- 11 female celebs whose broken marriages didn’t stop them from shining – #9 became stinking rich after divorce (With Photos)
- The 6 physical features that men can’t resist in ladies – #4 and #5 will make even a billionaire lose control
- Nigerian female celebrities that have done plastic surgeries (With Photos)
- 16 Signs you may have HIV without knowing – if you notice #6, #12 or #14, please visit your doctor
- 6 Nigerian celebrities living a crazy life – #6 is the worst of them all (With Photos)