Sickle cell can now be cured – Good news!
Sickle cell cure: This is indeed good news for the world and especially for those living with sickle cell anaemia. A 13-year-old has been cured of sickle cell anemia with the aid of gene therapy which allowed complete remission of clinical symptoms of disease and correction of biological signs. Gene therapy is the introduction of normal genes into cells in place of defective or missing genes in order to correct genetic disorders.
According to the result of a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine, when the gene therapy is fully deployed, the patient would no longer have to battle the complications and pain resulting from the disease.
A team led by Pr. Marina Cavazzana in collaboration with Dr. Philippe Leboulch in October 2014 carried out gene therapy in the context of a phase I clinical trial/II in a 13-year-old patient with severe sickle cell disease. In September, scientists reported that gene therapy for sickle cell disease passed key preclinical test.
CLICK HERE to join our BBM Channel for juicy updates & free giveaways
- #BBNaija: TBoss finally explains why Kemen got disqualified, TTT & other housemates react
- 10 most wanted criminals in the world – See the gangs they control & the grave things they’ve done (With Pics)
- This is what Kemen did to TBoss that got him disqualified and evicted from #BBNaija house (Video)
- 10 times Nicki Minaj revealed to us more than what we bargained for – This will knock you out (With Pics)
- See what Adekunle Gold said after Kemen was disqualified for his ordeal with TBoss (Photos)
- 10 powerful leaders in the world that died shameful deaths – #1 was chopped into pieces (With Pics)
- #BBNaija TBoss confesses to housemates about her role in Kemen’s disqualification